You are here
Union Database Uploads & ShareFILE
Our provincial Resource Sharing system relies on the integrity and accuracy of our tools. Libraries should upload record submissions to the union catalogues regularly, to maintain the integrity and accuracy of the union databases. Lack of regular record submissions may result in increasing interlibrary loan request errors that are directly related to out-dated records and irregular uploads to the union databases.
ShareFILE (formerly FTP) Procedures for Uploading Records
- Public Libraries: Only need to upload records to the BC Union Catalogue (formerly OutLook Online) union database. Public Libraries Branch requests that Public libraries upload their records at least twice a year. Check-out the Public Libraries Procedures for Uploading Records for more information.
- Post-Secondary Libaries: As of April 2021, institutions only need to upload records to the BC Union Catalogue (formerly OutLook Online) union database as the ELN Media Cat & ELN Serials Cat databases have been retired. BC ELN requests that Post-secondary libraries upload their records at least yearly but more frequent twice a year or monthly uploads are recommended. Check-out the Post-Secondary Libraries Procedures for Uploading Records for more information on uploading records to all three union databases.
Guidelines for Union Database Record Uploads
- BC Union Catalogue (formerly OutLook Online): Libraries should perform a full strip and reload of their union database records at least twice a year or more frequently if desired. From the vendor’s perspective, there is no limit to how often a library can perform full strip and reloads. In addition to the recommended minimum twice yearly full strip and reload, libraries can also perform monthly updates of additions, deletions, and/or changes.
- When considering which records to export, most sites base their decisions on discoverability. ie. Which of your bibliographic records do you want to be found in Illume?
- Do you want Illume to contain all your records and act as a "backup catalogue" or do you wish to only load records for items that you ILL?
- Many sites exclude records for items such as Musical Instruments, Computer Equipment, eBooks and any other items that are not available for ILL.
- ELN Serials Cat (retired April 2021): Detailed information on the Guidelines/FAQs for Serials Submissions page for libraries submitting records to the ELN Serials provincial union database.
- ELN Media Cat (retired April 2021): Post-secondaries upload media items they wish to interlibrary loan to this database.
Upload Errors, Diagnostic Tools and Fixing Record Errrors
Information on the diagnostic tools, what they are checking for, and how to fix records is available on the Uploaded Record Errors page. Please also contact the Illume Administrative Centre for additional assistance.
In preparation for a Union Database cleanup project in 2020, Auto-Graphics has started checking UDB record uploads for various issues such as multiple 245 Title fields which cause the "Blank Title Bug". We hope to identify all records that reportedly cause errors over the next year or so (2019-20). You may see automatic or manual emails from Auto-Graphics or the Illume Admin Centre highlighting any of your records that we recommend be updated. Records with issues can be provided in text or MARC format by Auto-Graphics.